BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

12/7/09

MASERATI GRANTURISMO






You know a car is seriously cool when Fahad Majidi tells you he’s ordered one before they are even on sale. This, is after all, a man who loves cars even more than he loves himself. And this is Olympic class adoration, trust me. The maserati granturismo Has that effect on people though. It’s the Quattroporte for single men, sleeker, faster, and wilder. It looks magnificent; a nose that flares arrogantly and delightedly, like Usain Bolt’s nostrils when  he knew he’d got that 100mph Olympic final in the bag (In other words, before he even crouched down to start it). My press car had a seductive, understated dark grey exterior, and a flame red interior that resembled the centre of a volcano when it starts spewing molten lava. And the Etna comparison doesn’t end there: turn on the Maserati’s engine, and you are back in the volcano again. A silent, dormant monster that suddenly erupts with the kind of noise that villager must make when the lava heads their way. So proper GT or urban poseur? I was curious to try the Maser in the three situations – busy central London, a clear motorway, and the leafy country lanes of east Sussex where I grew up.
After trying on all the tracks, I discovered a nasty little scraping noise. But these are trifling quibbles. I have tried quite a few new cars in the last year, and enjoyed them al. lets be honest here, is there a car cost more than $75,000 that isn’t going to be good to drive? But this is the first time I have handled one back and thought, as Danish Muzaffar said when he first clapped eyed on the Jaguar E-type: ‘I want one, and I want it now’. And I reckon I know a cunning way to get past  the long waiting list: Mr. Cowells’ legendary small boredom threshold will almost certainly have already kicked in, and I can but his off him.


















0 comments: